Facebook has become the most important social media tool available to Realtors. It doesn’t have to be time consuming. The following is a list of simple tips to help you understand and manage Facebook like a pro.
Setting up your Facebook Profile Page
Basics of Facebook
Listening and Building Friend Lists
One of the very best ways to make sure that you can go on Facebook and maximize your effectiveness in the shortest amount of time, is to be able to filter the news feed utilizing friend lists. Without lists, your news feed is delivered to you by what Facebook thinks you want.
For example, I am friends with about 900+ people, and a good number of them are industry professionals. It’s common for Realtors to have a lot of friends on Facebook. If we didn’t have a way to filter that newsfeed, we’d might miss out on family posts or past clients updates.
Knowing what is important to your past clients is crucial. They post births, deaths, engagements, divorces … essentially many of the life events that may create a new real estate need.
Often times, how you listen is far more important than what you are posting. By listening effectively, liking and commenting on things that are important to them, not only will your remain top of mind, but you also grow and maintain a relationship that otherwise might become more distant without the use of social media. It’s incredibly powerful.
So how do you build a list to listen to number of friends more effectively? Here is a step-by-step tutorial.
- On the left side of your news feed is your favorites at the top, groups, friends, etc. Scroll down to friends and hover over it. You will see ‘more’ show up. Click on that.
- Hit ‘Create List’.
- Name your list. Top 25, Out of Area Sphere, Gary Greene Agents, Family, Prospects are examples you might consider. Hit Create.
- Click ‘Add Friends To List’
- Select the friends to be in the list. They will be alphabetical. When you are done, click ‘Finish’. You can always add or delete people from any list. They will not know if they are in a list. These lists are private to you and for your personal use.
- If that list is utilized frequently, it will be displayed on the left side of your news feed so that you can click on it. Every time you click on it, you will only see updates from those that are in that specific list.
- For those lists that are most important to you – family, past clients, or Top 25 – you might find that moving that list into your favorites would be best. On Facebook, your favorites are those sections that are in the top left of your home page on Facebook. If you want to add that friend list to your favorites, hover over the list and see the gear shift to the list. You will then see ‘Add To Favorites’.
- You will now see your list displayed your list displayed on the top left of your newsfeed. Anytime you want to filter your feed to see that list of friends’ updates, simply click that list.